What Is a Personal Website?
As it is obvious from the name, a personal website is the one that you build to present personal content over the web. For example, you may have a collection of pictures, paintings and photographs or selfies and want to share the same with friends, fans or general public round the world. This type of personal website would be called a personal portfolio. On the other hand, a website showcasing textual content along with images is known as a blog. A video blog can be used for accommodating, presenting and playing videos. Similarly, there can be various other types of personal websites.
Types of Personal Websites:
Some of the possible types of personal websites are listed below:
- Galaxy Style
- Social Sharing
- Simple Texty
- Grid (Pinterest Style)
- Fashion Blog
- Minimal Blog
- Author Style
- Detailed Post
- Fancy Style
- Magazine, etc.
Note: For each of these website styles, you will need a specialized WordPress theme. Here, I consider it necessary to mention that “Personal” is a theme that offers you 40+ ways to create a personal or professional site.
How to Create a Personal Website:
For the creation of an online platform, you would require some content management system (CMS) that will facilitate you to organize and manage the content on internet. A great variety of such systems is available in the market which may be based on Java, PHP, Perl, Python, and Microsoft ASP.NET, etc. WordPress, Joomla and Drupal are some of the best CMSs, each of which is based on PHP. However, the most popular of these is WordPress which has been used to power over 60 million websites in the world. At the same time, it gives you the option to create a website totally free. However, you can also make use of some premium items.
How to Create a Personal Website on WordPress Totally Free:
Before you learn “how to create a personal website on WordPress (WP)”, it is worth noticing that WP is unanimously considered to be the most powerful and easiest to use content management system in the world. You can have an idea about its extraordinary functioning capacity from the fact that it will take only five minutes to launch a fully furnished project with personalized look and features. The powerfully managed Backend Panel guides you through an interactive and step by step procedure to make all types of changes in the content as well as structural elements of the site. Here you can also get help of the WordPress based themes and plugins. WP plugins are the additional tools that serve to furnish the project with some advanced functionalities. Following are the essential steps to create a website with WordPress totally free:
- Step 1: Follow the link: https://wordpress.com/
- Step 2: Click on “Create Website”.
- Step 3: Define niche of your website, which may be Writing & Books, Health & Wellness, Education & Organizations, Business & Services, Art & Entertainment, and so on.
- Step 4: After defining the niche, you will be provided with a collection of themes to choose from. Choose a WordPress theme that you think is most suitable for your cause.
- Step 5: You will be directed to the next page where you can provide a unique name for the domain of website. If you want to get the domain name for free, it will have a suffix of wordpress.com attached at the end. For example, if you choose “fashionophobia”, the complete domain name will look like “fashionophobia.wordpress.com”.
- Step 6: Next, you will be asked to choose a plan from the three available options, free, premium and business. Definitely, you would like the free one.
- Step 7: It’s time to create and account with WordPress by providing email address, username and password.
- Step 8: After sign and login, you will be directed to a page with the option “Customize Your Site”. As you click on “Customize Your Site”, you will find yourself on the WordPress Admin Panel dashboard.
- Step 9: Use different customization options on the WordPress Admin Panel dashboard to personalize each and every aspect of the website.
Drawbacks of Free Websites:
Though you are able to create any type of personal website with WordPress totally free at any time, it involves some serious drawbacks which will distract you from going for it. Given below are some of the compromises that you will have to make in case of a website that is created and hosted for free.
- Inseparable Suffix of “wordpress.com” with Domain Name: If you want to get a domain free of any charges from WordPress, the suffix “wordpress.com” will be attached at the end. In other words, you won’t be able to maintain a unique identify for your project.
- Using Sub-standard Theme: It is usually very hard to find the free themes that are of high quality. In the majority of the cases, such items are of low standard and do not have the essential powers and features. The premium versions of the themes, on the other hand, are reputed to be based on the latest web development standards and have true touch of modernity.
- Deprived of Premium Plugins: The premium WP plugins are the additional/supplementary tools that are used for adding to the ease of customization and enhancing the functioning power of the website. For example, Visual Composer page builder tool makes the customization and creation of new pages wonderfully easy and fun-yielding. Free WordPress themes, however, are without any premium plugin. So, the lack of such powerful tools, would add to the labor and difficulty in the creation and management of the site.
- Requiring Share of Income:If, for example, you want to use the website for earning money online, the patron company (in this case, WordPress) would ask for a share of income. It means, you won’t be the sole owner of the project, but merely a shareholder.
How to Create a Personal Website on WordPress with Premium Features:
No doubt, building a premium website on WordPress requires some amount of money, but this will be in the very benefit of your project. So, you should not hesitate to pay a few pennies because this will, in turn, save your project from going into ruin. On the way to building a personal website with premium features, you may be required to go through the following steps.
- Choose & Register Domain Name: In the first step, you should chose a suitable domain name that hints at the nature of your project. After finalization, a domain name must be registered with some domain registrar as soon as possible, or else someone else (though accidently) will get it registered with their name, thus making it their own property. GoDaddy, Namecheap and register.com are some of the popular and trusted domain name registrars.
How to register a domain name:
- Purchase Hosting: Before purchasing hosting, you will have to decide which type of hosting your personal website needs. Different types of hosting include free hosting, shared hosting, dedicated hosting and cloud hosting, etc. eHost, iPage, BlueHost and DreamHost are grouped among the famous web hosting services providers.
How to purchase hosting:
- Purchase the Best WordPress Theme:Hundreds of thousands of WordPress based themes are available over the internet, especially on themeforest.net – world’s largest online market for WordPress themes. As most of these templates are commonplace, you have to choose the best item through proper scrutiny. Any wrong decision, in this regard, may cause an irreparable loss to your project. So, be very careful and it will be even better if you follow the recommendation of some authority. Here is a special product in the form of Personal premium WordPress theme that enjoys the trust of the world’s top class professionals. Offering 40+ ways to build a blog, it is capable of building all sorts of personal websites, all within minutes! Being one of the easiest to use themes, Personal lets even the newbies feel fully comfortable while working with it. Here there is no need of even 0% coding as everything is provided as pre-built. Lots of built-in premium plugins not only contribute to the functioning power of the theme but also offer a great deal of facilitation and comfort to the user. These plugins include Visual Composer page builder & frontend editor, Slider Revolution slideshow builder and Layer Slider slideshow creator tool.
How to purchase Personal WordPress theme:
- Install Personal Website Theme on WordPress Platform: After you have the best product in hand, it needs to be installed on the WordPress platform. Here it is to be noted that access to WP admin panel requires the users to create login and sign in with user name and password. Switching discussion back to installation, if you take the case of Personal premium blog theme, it is powered with single click theme installation process. Here, an otherwise multistep and laborious task, has been squeezed to just one easy step.
How to Install Personal WordPress Theme:
- Install a Chosen Demo of the WP Theme:Some themes have only one demo while others may have even more than a dozen. Personal theme falls in the latter category, i.e. it has nearly two dozen fresh, unique and fully furnished demos. Each of these demo versions is devoted to a specific niche of personal websites. Overall, here the users are being provided with over 40 ways to create a personal website. Isn’t it so amazing? You simply need to install a demo that best serves your cause. And this can be done with a single click.
How to Install a Demo of Personal WordPress Theme:
- Install Essential Plugins: After finishing the installation of theme and demo, you should proceed to the phase of plugin installation. Plugins are the supplementary tools meant to provide some additional/advanced functionality on the website. For example, different SEO plugins serve to optimize the website for greater user traffic, thus fetching it high popularity and ranking over the web. Visual Composer, a premium plugin, is the best tool for the editing and customization of website both at the frontend and backend. Slider Revolution is a revolutionary plugin for the creation of super awesome slideshows. Similarly, WooCommerce is a WordPress based plugin that is used to build an advanced eCommerce platform for hassle-free shopping and online payments. The good news is that your favorite theme, Personal, comes with all these plugins as built-in features. In this way, you will also be able to save a lot of money as they are provided totally free!
How to Install Essential Plugins of Personal Theme:
- Customization and Finishing Touches: In the final step of creating a personal website, you will be performing different customization tasks to shape it according to your very taste. In Personal theme, the powerfully managed admin panel with countless custom options and the support of Visual Composer would render a great deal of convenience and facilitation to the users. Meanwhile, you will also be enjoying frontend editing with live preview. In short, all types of customizations can be accomplished within a few minutes. After that, your website would be ready for launch.